Saturday, April 12, 2008

No internet takes the fun out of wonking

I will say this about the NCAA Championship game: I was happy to see Joey "thug-life" Dorsey's shoving cost Memphis the championship. I've never been a fan of Dorsey, who's certainly athletic but seems to spend more time woofing at point guards and pushing opposing players around than refining his very limited game. And in the final couple of minutes in the Championship game, 25 feet from the basket, for no reason whatsoever, he pushes a Kansas guard, gets justly whistled for it, fouls out, stops the clock, and shaves two points off the Memphis lead, and as we all know, puts the game within reach for Mario Chalmers to eventually tie it up. Without Dorsey in the game, Kansas went right at the basket, got a nice lead early in overtime. The irony is that Dorsey is a senior, and was in the game for defensive purposes, and he still went a long way in costing his team the game.
I've never liked playing with or against guys like Dorsey on the court, and I'm glad to see that style of "playing" the game punished.

I did correctly pick Kansas in my brackets, with got me 70th in Washington Post, which ain't terrible, 5th in the pool at work, and I actually won this non-bracket pool over Spartans Weblog. Do check Spartans Weblog out if you're interested in MSU, they really do a nice job of dissecting and analyzing over there.

I generally leave politics alone in this blog, but I thought this was a pretty good one:

Ms. Clinton stated that Memphis, while losing the game, had actually shown more ability to act like a National Champion on Day One. She argued that Memphis had passed every test during the game, including scoring more points than Kansas for 38 minutes. For 38 minutes they had shown the experience necessary to be National Champion. "Just because some team comes along in the last minute and scores more points than the other guy doesn't mean they're necessarily able to be National Champion on Day One."

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to what Tom Crean does this spring with the Hoosiers. It'll be rough next year, but I think IU'll be back on the right track soon enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home