Thursday, March 23, 2006

I Like Mike

Indiana's season came to a screeching close when IU's offense played about as well as it could play, and Gonzaga was just better. I don't see this Hoosier squad winning that game very many times out of ten, unless DJ White is playing.

I don't have time to talk much, as I have an insane amount of work to do in my last few days on the job, but I did want to post about the new Indiana Head coach, whoever it is.

Ben has a good letter up to send to Rick Greenspan about the hiring process, and he also links a similar letter from Ryan G.

It seems pretty likely that Steve Alford will not be the next coach of IU, which is especially great after seeing the Hawkeyes failed to get a crucial rebound and let Northwestern State drill a game-winning three in the first round.

There are rumors that there are two candidates interviewing for the job, and who knows who they are?

I wouldn't be super-happy with Randy Wittman (who seems the most likely IU-legacy coach) but he'd be okay, I imagine.

There are rumors of Rick Pitino, John Calipari, Mark Few, Rick Majerus, and Tom Crean, all of whom I'd be perfectly happy with. But I'm not sure any of them will actually come.

But the guy who may actually want the job, and who I actually am rooting for, is Mike Montgomery. His Stanford teams regularly dominated more talented Arizona and UCLA teams, and by the time he left for the pros, the road to the PAC-10 championship always ran through Paolo Alto.

I'll have a ton more to say about this last season when life settles down, but that may not be until June.

As for the remaining 16 teams in the NCAA, I still like UConn, but I'm rooting for West Virginia.

1 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Spork Boy said...

I like Mike, too. I'm getting drunk on the Mike Montgomery kool-aid to the point where I could potentially disappointed with any other choice--even Mark Few.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home